Ever since we step into the world of education majority of us get caught up and baffled with the exclusive thought of this life-altering question, ‘What would you like to be when you grow up?’.
While as a child, many of us seem to be fascinated by the medical profession and desire to become a hero in a white coat. Only a few stick to the same desire even after growing up!
Pursuing MBBS is the dream of many Indian students because it serves the purpose of both, a personally fulfilling as well as financially rewarding profession. The dream of becoming a doctor is not just a mere profession but rather it is an ambition fueled with zeal and compassion towards society, humanitarian grounds, an epitome of utmost dedication, and a sheer result of hard work and intelligence.
Though along with countless hours of study and passing with flying colors, there comes a tedious task that leads the student to a perplexing dilemma! Whether they should pursue MBBS from the comfort of their homeland (India) or seize the opportunity to broaden their horizons in this era of globalization and bestow themselves with international exposure.
Since every coin has two sides let’s compare the pros and cons of pursuing MBBS from India vs Abroad.
MBBS in India
• Every year in India more than 15 lakh students appear for NEET (National Eligibility cum Entrance Test) to fulfill their ambition however, due to seat constraints only a few get the chance to bag positions at reputed government institutes.
• There are around 521 medical institutes in India 280 under government and 261 under private) in the country with an intake capacity of 80,312 MBBS seats annually. The massive difference in the number of available colleges in India and students appearing is so steep that there is only 1.34 doctor per thousand citizens.
• As a part of the bandwagon, the rest are left with the option to go with private institutes that do offer quality education at a sky-shooting cost that everyone cannot afford. Heavy donations and an expensive fee structure make the quest of going after their dream inaccessible to the average Indian population.
MBBS in Abroad
• As the world has turned into a global village, thanks to the advent of globalization! Now the opportunities are not merely confined within the borders but, one can achieve their dream of pursuing an MBBS abroad.
• Pursuing MBBS in a college overseas helps you achieve the dream of becoming a doctor by providing a plethora of wholesome education experiences. Topped with world-class infrastructure, foreign universities boast of high standard education, comparatively low tuition fees to Indian counterparts, and internationally recognized degrees to students which helps them carve a niche for themselves in the medical field globally.
• Though, while choosing a university abroad, Indian students should keep the geographical factor in mind. The attributing factors like weather conditions, and physical conditions help shape the curriculum.
• Also, it is advised to thoroughly go through the university portals and cross-verify the information and history of the institute before enrolling in the medical course, as there is a spike in fake universities which may reward you with a degree without any worth!·